You’re tired of renting. You’re about to have a baby and expand your family. Your kids have all moved out and now it’s time to down-size (or get that mansion of your dreams!). You want to settle down and plant some roots. You need a bigger backyard for your furry friends. You want to increase your net worth.
All are excellent reasons for wanting to buy a home. But do all these reasons mean it’s the right time to buy? There are many other things to consider when shopping for a home, such as how the housing market is performing, if interest rates are rising or falling, and what loan programs are available to help you purchase your home. In some cases, waiting to buy may actually cost you more than holding out for the “right” time.
Consider some of these factors below to determine when you should buy your new home:
- Do you have enough for a down payment? Depending on the Loan Program that best fits your financial situation, you will need to save 3% – 20% of the home price for a down payment.
- Are you waiting to see how low interest rates can get before pulling the trigger? Waiting for a lower interest rate could be a gamble. Rates are volatile and aren’t guaranteed to change one way or another, even in a season of declining rates.
- A lower interest rate doesn’t necessarily mean lower mortgage payments. If rates go down, home prices could go up, which means a higher down payment for you, and possibly higher monthly mortgage payments.
- If prices and rates both increase, it could be more difficult to qualify for a home.
- Your mortgage payment could be the same if you lock in an interest rate today rather than wait for a lower payment and end up with a higher-priced home.
These are just a few things to keep in mind when deciding if now is the best time to buy a home. To see what kind of interest rate and home price work for you and your financial situation, you can use a Mortgage Calculator or connect with one of our mortgage professionals.
Why Liberty Home Loans?
At Liberty Home Loans we are more than just mortgage providers – we are dedicated partners committed to empowering our customers with the freedom to achieve their dreams of homeownership. As a dynamic joint venture between Liberty Communities and FBC Mortgage, we create a seamless and transparent mortgage experience, ensuring that the process of building your home is efficient, stress-free, and tailored to you. Through our exceptional service, extensive industry knowledge, and a collaborative approach, we aim to make a positive and lasting impact on the communities we serve.
All information presented is for educational purposes only and not intended as financial advice.
Learn More About Mortgages
Many buyers find that applying for a mortgage can trigger an influx of marketing from other companies trying to win their business. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent this flood of offers from overwhelming you during an already stressful time.